AEC 2 – Approved Engine Course – Management level
AEC2 – Approved engine course – Management level
Scope (Target audience) : The course is intended for candidates enrolled in the new STCW Small Vessel route to Second Engineer. This course is mandatory for candidates you are applying to the following sectors: Yachts, Fishing, Tugs, Workboats, Seismic Survey, Standby Oceanographic Research Vessels and Government Patrol Vessels. The course is also intended for Captains and yacht crew on commercial yacht and it is suited for candidates who are starting careers within the deck or engine department on superyachts and for Skippers on smaller yachts. The Approved engine course is aimed to provide a wide and general comprehension of basic marine diesel mechanics and electrics with an understanding of the chief engineer’s responsibilities.
Course content : The purpose of the course is to provide candidates with theoretical knowledge and practical experience of diesel engines to work as dual deck hand / engineers. It covers refrigeration, legislation (books and records) maintenance systems and techniques, safe systems of work, lifting and slinging, electrical distribution, basic hydraulic systems, fresh water and sewage systems.
The course includes:
- Refrigeration systems.
- Compression ignition engines.
- Maintenance of system onboard which includes carrying out endoscope inspections, lubricating oil analysis and other.
- Operation and construction of engines.
- Electrical system onboard.
- Fuel systems.
- The role of air in the combustion process.
- Cooling and lubrication systems.
- Engine electrical systems.
- Power transmission and hull fittings.
- Freshwater and sewage systems.
- Basic hydraulic system maintenance.
- Safe working practices, pollution prevention and bottled gas installations.
- Legislative and Management requirements within engineering operations including MARPOL and the Code of Safe Working Practices
Duration: 5 days
- Identification card or passport
Note to client : After successful completion of the course candidates will receive Approved Engine Course Management level certificate